About Me

My photo
Somehow, two years have passed. And Dallin will be flying back to the states on March 26th. It has been quite the adventure! I will encourage him to add his own summary when he gets back...(Living the good life in the Philippines, Quezon City North Mission. Entered the MTC in Provo on April 4, 2012. Flew to the Philippines on Sunday, May 13, 2012. What a great adventure! And what an honor to serve the good people of the Pines!)

Monday, October 22, 2012

10-15-12 Didn't Your Mother Ever Tell You Not To Play With Your Food??

Ok, I must admit. I thought of the subject line for this email about the day after my last email. Here's the story. So I'm sitting with Elder Doria, eating lunch. I'm having a special flavored tuna. For some reason, I started making it into shapes. Not that I get bored during meals, but...well maybe. So it happened. And I thought to myself, "Hey, I could take a picture of this one, sculpted bit of rice and have a subject line for next week". I know, that's weird. But it happened. But then, after every bite, some other shape presented itself and I just kept taking pics. I think my mission is driving me crazy. 

Anyway. It's been a short week since the last email. So with not many days, it was already unlikely that a ton would go down. And then, we took two days off of work for conference. So our short week got super short. And therefore, this email will be super short. But on the bright side, we have a very long week ahead of us, so you can look forward to a completely insane, partially deranged, very long email next week! Cheers!

Before I get into the few fun details I have and forget all about it, Happy Birthday to my friend Brenna! 

So. We did have a few days to work since last time I wrote. We had several referrals to follow up on in our area. And so we did. Imagine that. Two of those referrals have turned out to be exciting and quite promising. Both referrals are families. Both have been very receptive. But the one family is particularly cool!! The sister explained that she has been looking for a religion and a bible to read. For some reason, she has been unable to obtain one. When we gave her the Book of Mormon, she got way excited! She decided this was the reason she didn't have a bible yet, so she would be able to read the Book of Mormon. She also told us that she loves to read and that she will get to work on it. That is amazing!! Half the problem out here is getting people to read!! Even if they are excited about the gospel, no one wants to read. It's like they are afraid of contracting a serious disease! It's nuts! But this lady is ready to go! So we are really excited there. But if I'm honest, that's really all of the cool news with work. But we have had a few great lessons with both families. 

We also had conference this week!!! Woohoo!! I was already excited for conference because, well obviously, it's conference. But then, we heard about the age changes for missionaries last week and I was double excited. Let me rephrase that. Stoked. I was completely stoked. But man, besides the age change, no one said anything!! I had nooo idea just how good conference was going to be!! It was so ridiculously good!! Every single talk was just, man. Incredible. I loved conference. But it is different here. I enclosed a picture. On saturday, when the meeting started, we had all the missionaries in the zone and two other people. Iyan lang. It was crazy. By later on, the room filled in a little. Maybe 40 people. And then, for priesthood session, only about 30 people. For sunday, there was more people. For the first session. And then most the people left. I admit, I was a little bewildered. I think people don't understand that all the sessions are different. Sad day though. But I was loving it. Also, a great part of conference for me. When the second session ended sunday, all of the sudden, it switched to the BYU football game!!! No joke!! Here in the Philippines, I got to see Bronco Mendenhall and my Cougs!! I was stoked! We didn't see any action at all. They only showed Bronco standing on the sideline and then the teams lined up before the people in charge caught it and turned the whole thing off. But it was still sweet!! 

After conference yesterday, we had an activity with the missionaries in our district. We did a guided tour of the three kingdoms of glory for families. Mostly LA families or investigators. It was well set up and was a cool experience. I would love to go into my feelings and comments on that, but I admit, I'm out of time and need to bounce. 

I also walked past a pig getting roasted on the side of the road. Got y'all a pic of that. Then, I finally took a pic of my Jaywalking ticket and included that. And then a pic with a LA families child that loves me. We teach them a lot. Hahahahahaha!!! Oh man!! In fact, this is the kid from the cheese grater story from a few weeks back. Fun fact, just in case you were interested. 

Anyway. I think that is it for me. Not tons of stuff because we didn't have tons of days. But even in the few days we had, the work is progressing. Exciting things are happening here. Being a missionary is the best thing in the world. Everyone that now has the wonderful chance of serving a mission opened up to you, I recommend going if at all possible. I've said it before. But I'll say it again. Being able to help people change their lives for the better is incredible. Missionaries got talked way up in conference. I don't have my notes with me. But it could have been Elder Perry. Missionaries are the solvers of all problems!! But no joke! That's what we do!! I love it! It is wonderful to bring the blessings of the gospel into people's lives and especially for families. Everyone needs the gospel. Even if they don't know it. 

That's it for me. Gotta be heading. But I love you all. Keep it real this week. Ponder conference. Eat a piece of cheesecake. 

Much love, 

Elder Christensen 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment