About Me

My photo
Somehow, two years have passed. And Dallin will be flying back to the states on March 26th. It has been quite the adventure! I will encourage him to add his own summary when he gets back...(Living the good life in the Philippines, Quezon City North Mission. Entered the MTC in Provo on April 4, 2012. Flew to the Philippines on Sunday, May 13, 2012. What a great adventure! And what an honor to serve the good people of the Pines!)

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

03-27-13 "No no, I'm supposed to Kill the Bus Driver"

Hello my people!! Sorry for the un-missionary quote. It popped into my head while I was eating lunch. Go figure.

Life on this side of the planet is wonderful! Alrighty, so to start, I will not preach to you this week. Seriously. Too many weeks now. So, we will try to make this a quick email. Lots of good things happening, but unfortunately, walang picture. Almost. There are a few. But not many.

So to start. I think I told you about these people last week or the week before. Danika and Michael. They are the bomb!!! We found them, 2 or 3 weeks ago and from the get go, they were down to hear the gospel. A few things though. They are young and not married, but living together. They have word of wisdom issues. And some other things. So that could turn out interesting. We find in the scriptures in 1 Nephi 16:2 that the wicked will take the truth to be hard. They don't like being corrected. But those with good hearts will know when they need to change and they will accept it. So you pretty much get 3 different reactions. First, they get offended and don't want to listen. Second, they know it's true and want to change, but they are either too lazy or too caught up in sin to make the change. They don't progress. Or you sometimes get these awesome people that get pricked in the heart and know they must change and they do what it takes to repent and do better, regardless of challenges or slip ups or whatever the trial may be. Those are the kind you want!! It just so happens that this couple is the third type. Score!!! So we hit them with two big lessons, two days in a row. Word of Wisdom, followed by Law of Chastity. They quit all of the WoW problems that day and they have been working like mad fools the last few days to get all the paper work and other requirements done to get married. They are soo awesome!! You aren't supposed to have favorites, but they are probably my favorite investigators I've had on my mission. They are so prepared to have the gospel in their lives. It is awesome to see the changes they are making!! So that is exciting! I'll keep you updated there!

This last week, we had another baptism. It's a girl from a part member family that we've been teaching for a while. They are way cool! Awesome!!

We had a fun service project this week. (If you can't tell from my random jumping of topics, I actually have a list this week! It just means I don't connect anything I'm saying. Sorry if it's boring!) We went to a family in our ward. Pulled up all manner of weeds and dead banana tree leaves and other manner of plant life and burned it all! It was a big ol' grand fire!! In Utah, this wouldn't fly, but here, you can burn everything!! Got trash? Take it outside and burn it. Weeds? Leaves? Obnoxious children? Burn em!!! 'Cept maybe the kids. Probably don't burn them. Save the children. "All we need, quite frankly, is hard cash donation. I's for the children." Yeah, name that. Anyway. So we had a good time there. All smelled like we'd been camping as we rode the jeep home. Good times.

We had another fun lesson with tithing this week. We visited this man. He hasn't been coming to church. We were talking and he talked about how he wanted to go to the temple. Sweet! But you need to start with going to church. This guy was chilling at his house. He told us he hadn't been at church cuz he was washing clothes. Think about it. Go to church, and instead of chilling in the afternoon, wash clothes. And that's if it must be on Sunday. He told us it had to be that day. No other choice. Ok, try out my suggestion. Problem solved. Anyway. He had a few issues. But he also had an issue with tithing. Sometimes they pay some, but not all. I wish I could help everyone understand. We all have enough money to pay tithing. We pay a percentage. 10%. That means that we always have enough money. The blessing we get for paying tithing so outweighs the 10% bit of cash we give up. And all of that is coming from God to us anyway. Why do we pay part tithing? Just pay the whole bit! Qualify for the whole blessing! Go to the temple! Get endowed with power and righteousness and protect your family. I said it last week but I love the quote. It is not that we are too rich or too poor to pay tithing. It is just that we don't have enough faith to pay tithing. Sigh. Pay tithing. Let the Lord open the windows of heaven with a blessing so large that we don't have room enough to receive it.

My comp had a birthday! The man is an old geezer! Hit the good age of 22. We grabbed some mango ice cream and bakery treats and partied in style. Finished the party today with a good trip to the coveted Wendy's. Yeah, that's what's up.

Today was temple day. I love the temple. We are so blessed in Utah to have so many temples so close to us!! We got up at 3:30 to get to the temple. But our taxi ride was faster than ever and we got there within about 30 minutes. Sweet. Ps, for you dad. Back in the day. The guy pulls in front of you only doing 100? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I went the fastest of my mission yet this morning and we never got above 85. People in this country drive SLOW!!!

So next week, P-day is a regular old monday thing. Now, I know it's April 1 and all, but don't be hitting me with that April Fool's garbage. I'm a missionary and I don't see you all. Don't hit me with that weird stuff and then hit me the week after and be like oh hey, haha, joke lang. I know you are going to want to do it, but don't give in. No more emails for people who do April Fool's to missionaries.

So pics. I've got a few of us burning stuff and pulling weeds. And a little house. And my comp falling asleep in a lesson. Then we have one from the baptism. Not much. Sorry folks. I'll be back in a few days! I'll try to snap some photos! Have a wonderful week! Read scriptures every day!!

Much love,

Elder Christensen


No comments:

Post a Comment